Monsieur Laurent Fabius,
Ministre des Affaires Etrangères and Chairperson of COP 21
Quay d’Orsay, 75007 Paris
Dear Minister Fabius,
For Our Grandchildren (4RG) is an environmental organization based in Canada with a single focus: Climate Change. We have been critical of Canada’s participation in Conference of the Parties meetings in recent years. Regrettably, Canada has been a climate change laggard and not a leader at these Conferences.
We are writing to you as the President of the forthcoming Conference of the Parties in Paris this fall. You will have allies among members of the public and other States in your efforts to reach agreement on restoring the world’s ecosystems for the benefit of all.
We respectfully request that the Government of France work for:
- a credible international policy to phase out fossil fuels;
- an immediate liquidation of all subsidies for production and use of coal, oil and gas;
- a CO2 tax to ensure that GHG polluters pay for dumping GHG emissions into the atmosphere;
- a moratorium on exploration of new fossil energy sources, as this is incompatible with the two-degree target;
- a commitment by all nations, particularly developed nations, to their undertaking in their INDC’s for emission reduction s within their country, and
- a further commitment by the world’s richest countries to provide within the next 12 months the necessary financial and technical support to the poorest countries.
European and North-American associations of Concerned Grandparents will be present at COP 21, and we will closely monitor the progress of negotiations.
Chairperson of 4RG