In February of this year 4RG sponsored a well attended Forum on the threat to Toronto’s Tree Canopy. The panel of Jeff Cullen, Janet McKay and Hilary Cunningham explained how the December 2013 ice storm had devastated the trees that we depend on
- for shade that can mitigate the effects of extreme heat;
- to sustain many natural forest areas within the City,
- as a desirable feature of Toronto’s many Parks,
- as a way to reduce greenhouse gases in the atmosphere;
- as a means of reducing ground saturation – which is important in controlling floods, and
- as a setting for our recreational environment.